Wednesday 15 August 2007

Cherry and Almond Cake

Suddenly felt like doing some baking today. My cake store in my freezer was getting very low and with cool, wet and windy weather is seemed like a good time to replenish a little.
Had to have some Cherrry and Almond cake right away but will keep some Peanut Butter Chip Cookies until tomorrow.
I have a friend and neighbour who has broken both her arms so I was able to give her some home made cookies. Her husband was drooling when he realised they were Peanut Butter. As with the Butterscotch Chips, we are unable to buy them here in England.
CHERRY AND ALMOND CAKE

175g (6 oz) butter 175g (6 oz) caster sugar
3 eggs 300g (10 oz) self-raising flour
250g (8 oz) glace cherries 50g (2 oz) ground almonds
5 tablespoons milk

Line and grease a deep 7 inch cake tin.
Cream the fat and the sugar together until light and fluffy.
Beat in the eggs one at a time, adding a tablespoon of flour
with the last two.
Carefully fold in the remaining flour, then fold in the cherries,
ground almonds, and enough milk to give a dropping
consistency.
Place in the prepared tin and bake in a pre-heated oven 160C,
325F or Gas Mark 3. for 1 ½ to 2 hours.Leave in tine for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack

11 comments:

Willow said...

Thanks for your visit and comments on my blog. I have been to England once and spent a week in London. We are planning to return next summer, if the plan proceeds as we hope.

I really must try the cherry and almond cake! Looks yummy!

Blessings! Willow

Susie said...

The cherry and almond sounds like a delicious combination. Looks yummy in the photo.
How interesting that you can't get butterscotch chips. (although I don't use them too often myself)
hugs!

Vintage to Victorian said...

Cherry and almond for me, please! Not so keen on peanut butter, although I'm sure I could be persuaded!
Sue

Susan said...

Both look yummy. Especially the cookies.
Susan

Susan said...

P.S. I passed on the Blogger Reflection Award today.
Susan

Unknown said...

Those look delicious. I baked yesterday, even though it was 98 for the 11th straight day in a row. I made french bread and chocolate zucchini bread.

Karen said...

Oh yummy! Your treats and a hot cup of tea would be wonderful. Well, that and the cooler weather! ;)
How in the world did your neighbor break both arms? Poor thing.

Betty said...

Barbara,
Gosh, your cake is mouth watering....I'll bet you are a fantastic cook. I love peanut butter anyway you fix it....

Congratulations on the Rocking Gal Award......Betty

Linda said...

I adore almonds and cherries separately but together they have to be the best combo ever. Can you post the recipe?

Anonymous said...

"My cake store in my freezer was getting very low" -- what an amazing thing! I wish I had room to store goodies in my freezer :-)

TBM said...

Thank you, Barbara! I am going to make this soon!!