A brief look at St.John's College today
Not nearly as grand as King's but with it's own interests and beauty
Not as accessible to the public either
There were a number of monastic houses in Cambridge in the early thirteenth century including a hospital of St. John which later became St. John's College. In 1280 Hugh de Balsham, Bishop of Ely, tried to introduce scholars into this foundation, but the monks and academics did not get on together so the latter moved down the road to found Cambridge's first true college, Peterhouse.
On the 9th April 1511 with the approval of the King, the Pope and the Bishop of Ely the Charter of the college of St. John the Evangelist was finally granted.
See the statue of St. John the Evangelist above the gate
The first court with the hall behind
Exterior of the chapel
The stained glass windows show scenes from the life of Christ but we were not able to go in today
Statue of Wm. Willberforce
The Bridge of Sighs over the River Cam which connects the college courts and buildings