Tuesday 7 August 2007

Another Tag - 8 Random Facts

I know I said I would not post while at Leigh-on-Sea but an addiction is an addiction. Isn't it?
I have been tagged again, this time by Claudia of Claudia's Place. I have been asked to write 8 random things about myself. I have already posted "100 things about me" previously and am writing many facts in "My Story" so have decided here to write things that would probably not appear in those facts. They are unusual to say the least and not for the faint hearted.




RULES BEFORE DOING THE ME ME ME (as I received them)




01. Post rules before giving the facts




02. Players start with eight random facts/habits about themselves




03. People who are tagged need to write their own blog about their eight things and post these rules to the ones they have chosen




04. At the end of the your blog you need to tag eight people and list their names. Leave them a comment on their blog, telling them they have been tagged so that they can go and read your blog.



1. In my late teens I went to work for a company of Fruit Importers. I did not stay long. There were things going on in that company that I could not write about here. When I refused to play their games I went in one morning to find my desk removed into the corridor and all my possessions piled on top. I was so frightened that I even left town and went to stay with an Aunt in another part of the country for a while.




2. Aged about 16 I unwisely tried to feed a swan on a river bank and it took all the skin off my fingers with it's beak.




3. Mid-teens I was pulled into a boat shed on a river bank by a guy and it took all the strength I possessed to escape unharmed.




4. In my early twenties a work colleague came to dinner. I did not know a lot about her previously but it turned out she was a Spiritualist. When my husband took her home in the car at the end of the evening I found she had left one of her Spiritualist books behind. At that time I did not understand that "He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world" and in fear I put this book outside the door.




5. About 12 years ago I was accosted and threatened on the London Underground by a group of teenage boys. Very frightening.




6. Soon after we moved to London and were living in a rented bed sit, I took my then 13 year old brother to live with us because a number of emergencies had arisen in my family. I can tell you it was rather crowded. Loved having him though.




7. My Grandmother's cousin owned a farm and she used to take me to visit them regularly when I was a child. Apart from the enjoyable bits I have awful memories of the outside lavatories. A stone hut containing a long bench in which there were 3 holes. A large one, a middle sized one and a tiny one. One sat on whichever size fitted best and tried not to think about what was in the trough underneath, especially if it had not been emptied in a while. No plumbing on rural farms in those days.




8. Had to rescue a fellow Girl Guide from a Hornets nest when I was 15. I don't know who was the more frightened.


I'm passing this on and here is my list. It would be fun for me if you accepted it and played the game, but if you do not want to, then I will understand. For those that do take part, do let me know when you have posted so that I can come and enjoy yours.


Nature Girl of Nature Trail








Nikipolani of As it Happens




Madeline of Maddy's Glasshouse



15 comments:

Susan said...

Boy you've had some very unpleasant and scary experiences!
Susan

Anonymous said...

Hey Barbara, I'll take on your challenge! God has protected you during your youth - it's so clear.

Kylee Baumle said...

Hi Barbara! Thanks for tagging me, but I've just recently done this. (July 6th) I don't think I could come up with eight more things! ;-)

Jeanne said...

Enjoyed reading your words.
Blessings!

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Barbara! Thanks for the tag. I just did this one last week, so I've already shared my things. I really appreciate you thinking of me though, so if anyone wants to read up...check out last week's 8 Things post.

Rhoda

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Wow, Barbara...you've had some close calls in your life! So glad you escaped unharmed from all of those possible mishaps.

Hugs,
Rhoda

Susie said...

Those were some very unpleasant 8 things! I would have been terribly frightened at some of those experiences..

Lorrie said...

Hi Barbara,
Interesting, but kind of frightening experiences - they tend to stay with one throughout life, don't they? I love that verse from I John - it's one of my favourites.

Naturegirl said...

Naturegirl here...I think you posted wrong name..you are Barbara.

Oh dear you certainly have experienced trauma in the past as you stated in #1..3..and..5!!

I did not know that about swans but then I have never tried feeding them.

I have been tagged several times and have much going on in my life so when I can keep my head above water I shall post and play tag!!
I'll surely let you know when I do.
Thank you for stopping by and introducing yourself to me Barbara!
hugs NG

Cape Cod Washashore said...

What amazing words... you are prooof that God is really at the helm! =)

TO BECOME said...

Wow, some things that happened to you were very scary. We called in my day what you were taking about the stone hut, a out house. That was all we had until we moved into town when I was in the ninth grade. No, we had no plumbing. Had to carry water. I am glad I live in the here and now. lol connie fromTexas

Betty Jo said...

Barbara I so enjoyed reading these facts about you. WOW! You've narrowly escaped harm many times over. My grandmother had an outhouse too, but only one hole. Can you imagine how difficult that was for a child? Every time I visit your blog it brings back fond memories of living in England. We lived part of our year there at Honor Oak in London, and then at Stonhouse in Sevenoaks out in the country. Both equally beautiful areas of your country. xoxo

lorenzothellama said...

Hello Barbara,
Hope you had a good holiday in Leigh.
Shame you don't compost any more. I feel quite virtuous for re-cycling all my kitchen waste. Tea bags and coffee grounds go straight onto the flower beds!
I never really mind pulling stray weeds that have germinated even though they have been in the compost heap. When you get your soil in good condition they tend to come up fairly easily.
It's the buttercups, moss and clover the the lawn that I can't get rid of!
Lorenzo.

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Barbara

So glad you popped in (twice)! I'd forgotten you are Janie's mum when I left my message the other day!

We're only 4 or 5 miles away from Langport - small world, isn't it!

What beautiful roses in your garden by the way.

Sue

Anonymous said...

Hello! I somehow ended up here, and was quite pleased that I did! I love your photos of Oxford and other lovely places. I love England, but I haven't been there for 20 years. Now I can just come visit your blog! :-)
I love your story of meeting your husband and still being together all these years. God is obviously at work in your life. Thanks for sharing!
Melissa