Thursday 29 November 2007

Cotswolds Pt 13 - Hailes Abbey Ruins

Another of our visits while we were in the Cotswolds was to

Hailes Abbey Ruins

just a short drive from where we were staying.

It is the site of a 13th Century Cisterian abbey

Founded in 1256 and once a celebrated pilgrimage site, the abbey now lies in ruins.

Remains of the dramatic cloister arches survive and there is a small museum

I always find it interesting to walk around castle and abbey ruins

looking at the layouts and trying to imagine life in those times








The drain from the latrines






Pillar bases



















The Monks Habit





9 comments:

Linda said...

We loved touring the old ruins of castles and abbeys when we lived in England ... so much history to absorb.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

How very interesting! I actually found some info on my ancestors old home in England! Sadly, it was destroyed in 1920, but I even found and old engraving of what it looked like! I love old places and places with history.

Susan Skitt said...

Always love bits of history :)

Jeanne said...

Blessings to you and yours

someone else said...

That's a beautiful setting for the abbey. One of my favorite things to do is visit the abbey ruins over there and try to imagine what the different rooms were like. They're so fascinating.

Susan said...

Another exciting tour!!
Susan

Paula said...

That is really neat. I too, like to imagine what was going on in different eras. I haven't read all of your stories, but I'm getting there.

Barbara said...

Really a beautiful place for this Cistercian abbey.I like to walk in and through ruins, imagining the old times. In the village I live, there was an old Cistercian abbey too. It is now a schoolhome for children with familiar and other problems.
Have a wonderful first Advent!
Barbara

Sigrun said...

Barbara, thank you for that impressions, I have not seen this ruins during my holidays in the Cotswolds.

Sigrun