Monday 2 February 2015

Duxford Aircraft Museum Part 1

Can't believe it was 2013 when we took Grandson Oliver to our local Aircraft Museum


Here we see a Spitfire used in The Battle of Britain 

and here a Tiger Moth
One can take a flight around the airfield in these planes


and some passenger planes
(not for flying, only viewing)



Some USA readers might recognise this aircraft



We have now entered the American Air Museum
The red symbols on the side show how many planes were shot down by this aircraft





I think this is a Stealth Bomber





Young Oliver who was only 7 then - standing under some aircraft wings







We are now in the Museum of The Battle of Britain





where we also see Concorde


and take a look inside


at the controls
the passenger area (not shown here) is very cramped and with low ceilings


The size of these wings always amaze me when standing underneath them



Looking up inside a wing




and now in to the hangar of light flying aircraft



Lots to do for children here but to appreciate such one needs a day just for that



Flight simulators 


and outside play
There is far more than one can see in a day as Duxford covers such a large area but for
part 2 we will visit the
Land Warfare Museum

10 comments:

Terri said...

My Dad, Arthur Eugene Lamb, was stationed there during WWII. He was a sheet metal guy fixing the airplanes. Thanks for showing this museum. I'm sending your URL to my Sister so she can view it, too.
Hugs

Needled Mom said...

I've heard that it is an amazing place to visit and it does look like it.

ellen b said...

I enjoy seeing and reading about the places you visit. I'm such a fan of England, the whole of Great Britain really. It's fun to see the places we've been through your lens and of course all the places we've missed but can enjoy through your lens. Blessings...

CherryPie said...

This has been on our list of places to visit for quite some time!

Willow said...

I know a couple of little boys related to me who would LOVE to spend a day at this museum. You are right--there is too much for one day. We'd have to return a second time!
And the children learn history too.

Winifred said...

That looks brilliant. I remember when the Dan Air planes flew from Newcastle to London. I always wanted to fly on Concorde. What a fantastic plane it was, absolutely beautiful.

La Petite Gallery said...


This is such a wonderful post. We have an air craft museum a few miles up the road. Golly what a treat this is to see the spitfire. Signing off, burried in snow.
It's awful;;
yvonne

Sandra said...

The pictures are amazing! The yellow plane is beautiful! It must be great to go there!

Sandra

Shammickite said...

I took my 2 sons, 16 and 7, to Duxford on a trip to UK many years ago.... they are both grown up dads with their own sons now. We all loved it, especially my favourite plane... the Vulcan Bomber! I wonder if it is still there. The Vulcan used to come to the Toronto Air Show and open it's bomb bay doors as it flew over the crowd, so impressive!

Vee said...

We have an air and space and auto museum not too far away with some similar aircraft, though certainly not as many as you've shown. I think that the grands might enjoy going to see it, especially since they are both older now. I am glad that Oliver enjoyed the museum with all of its interactive displays for kids.