Sunday 26 January 2014

Sissinghurst Castle, Kent. Part 2

Having posted on the gardens at Sissinghurst in the last post where I shared lots of history of the place (do have a look if you missed that post) now to some random photos outside and a little inside 


The old Granary


and the modern Granary Restaurant where we had lunch


The Oasts where the grain would have been dried


the gift shop


I love looking through doors and arches




We will now go through the house entrance into the courtyard


and first go up the tower


Vita Sackville-West's writing room


we will continue up to the top


up the stairs to the left of the picture


passing the print room with printing press


and look around in all directions from the top



The Gazebos you see are the farmers market which we will visit in the next post




It's now time to go down



and have a browse in the library of the house





Time to move on to our venue for our church weekend away



10 comments:

CherryPie said...

There are some nice views off the top of the tower. I don't recall climbing that when I visited.

Sue Seibert said...

Wow, such beautiful history. Always love your posts!

Gracie Saylor said...

The tower reminds me of photos I have seen of Tattershall Castle in Lincolnshire. And the library looks like an amazing place I would love to explore, choose a book from, and then curl up in a cozy chair by a fire to read :)

Needled Mom said...

What beautiful architecture. Those circular steps are lovely as well as the library. I loved seeing the oasts.

judith said...

Enjoyed seeing the views ffrom the top of the Tower. Had never seen these in any book and the pages of a book are the closest I have come to seeing views of Sissinghurst.
I so enjoy all your "Ramblings" and hope someday to visit some of them.
Wishing you New Year greetings from Woodstock, Connecticut.

Canadian Chickadee said...

We did make a special trip to see it one day some years ago, but the rain was absolutely bucketing down, so we settled for tea and quick browse around the gift shop and didn't even try to go through into any of the gardens or tour the house. We'll have to try again one of these days. Thanks for sharing a really interesting look at the place.

Vee said...

Those photos looking down are lovely...I see the fair...and the library is cozy and charming.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Lovely tour, Barbara. How I wish I could have been there with you exploring the tower and the library. Someone there loved blue glass, I see. I would have loved to see her writing room in person too.

nikkipolani said...

Oh, what an enviable library! And the views from on high... just makes me want to explore.

L. D. Knowlton said...

Thanks for this, Barbara. Terrific photo-blog. I am not able to visit just now - so this let's me travel on my computer! - Doug