Saturday 11 August 2018

Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk Part 2

I would suggest that if you did not read my previous post on Oxburgh Hall it would be helpful to do so as there is lots of information there.
It's a magnificent place though I would not want to live there!


All the stairways have painted walls

Portrait of Mary Queen of Scots




A very unusual chess board









I always like these kind of reflections with mirrors opposite mirors



The King's bed when he visited

These wall hangings were made by Mary Queen of Scots and Bess of Hardwick




Many beautiful tapestries




and a chair that I don't think would be very comfortable
Part 3 with lots more pictures next

7 comments:

Lorrie said...

A most impressive house, but rather dark and ornate. Not very cozy. In all these great houses, the room I most enjoy is the library. All those lovely books, the reading chairs, tables for writing or perusing big tomes - how wonderful to while away time in literary pursuits.

Thanks for taking us along on this tour.

Needled Mom said...

Many of those old places are beautiful to visit, but certainly not a place where any of us would enjoy living.

Janneke said...

So, I just read your both posts on Oxburgh Hall. Another amazing place to visit in Norfolk. Your country has such a rich history you really never need to go abroad so many places to visit, I love it. Thank you for the tour and there is still one to come about this place, lovely.

Vee said...

It certainly is a fascinating home with many one of a kind elements. I know that you’d not like to live there, but would you enjoy staying for a few days? (I might.😉)

CherryPie said...

This looks like a really interesting place to visit.

Ag said...

There are some very interesting rooms in Oxburgh Hall. The room with the chess set is very colourful.
I really like the photo you took with you and Alan in the mirror.
Thank you for sharing your tour of this interesting hall.
Audrey.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

The Earl of Shrewsbury and I share the same family name....interesting! There certainly is a lot to see and the richness of the decor is almost overwhelming, with those bold wallpapers from a later century and ceramic tile inside fireplaces from much ealier, etc, etc. Fascinating. I would love to view all this in person, but would not want to live there!