Monday 15 October 2007

Replying to Questions on last post

I had a number of questions asked me regarding my last post on my walk last Saturday so thought it would be good to answer them. If you want to know who asked the questions they are all in my comments section for that post.

What would a pub lunch consist of?

This would depend on the pub, they vary, but on the whole a good pub menu would consist of many variations of chicken, fish, red meats, vegetarian, soups, salads, pasta, sandwich, Ploughmans. Good selection of desserts. They are known for good hearty meals reasonably priced. The better ones may have a more up-market restaurant attached and some will serve meals in the bar.

How I wish we had pubs here in Canada like the ones that you have in the UK.Our pubs here although they serve meals are completely drinking establishments and are not allowed children, and are not usually a good scene for families.There are a few Irish Pub type places run by people from the UK, but of course they are subject to all our laws etc.Neighborhood pubs that try to spring up are usually petitioned against as they thought to be a disruption to the peace in a neighborhood!

Ours used to be like that and there are still some inner city pubs that would be like that. However, most outside the towns are child friendly, some even having extensive play areas for children. However children are never allowed in the are area.

The Navestock Church's architecture was unusual. I was first introduced to bell ringing when I read Dorothy Sayer's "The Nine Tailors". I hadn't realized until then that playing melodies is not the focus of bell ringing.

The main focus of bell ringing is to call people to church

I don't see a lot of traffic...are you walking along woodland paths specifically for pedestrians? (I wish that there were more of those here.)

We are walking on Public Foot paths which are ancient rights of way. There are 130,000 miles of foot paths that crisscross England and Wales. They cross farmland, pasture, heath, moors, mountains etc. By law they have to be kept open even if they cross private land. They have to be kept open if used so The Ramblers Association campaign for people to use them and keep them open.

The church looks interesting - is it Norman?

I think it could be a Norman church as it dates from the 11th/12th century, but the link below will give you the history.

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=15613


Bell ringer is unknown to me. In our churches there is always a man or woman responsible for everything that concerns church and service (including that the bells ring). This is a job and people are paid for it. However, I like the thought of people going from church to church and ringing the bells..

Bell ringing here is done by volunteers

6 comments:

Barbara said...

Thank you Barbara, for your answer!
Have a sunny week!
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,

Thanks for visiting my blog and for answering my question.

Marie x

Vee said...

Thanks, Barbara, for answering all our questions! That was a great idea. Wow, 130,000 miles of paths. Amazing! Now I know that I want to come to your corner.

Sorry that that link didn't work for you...I checked it and it was working just now. Hope that you get a chance to see it. It's cute to the tenth power.

Susan Skitt said...

What fun Barbara! I enjoyed reading people's questions and your informative responses. I'd love to walk those paths someday. Delightful!

Willow said...

We walked on public paths in Northumberland when we visited in 2004; The American West is too young to have such traditions. I love the whole idea of public paths, although I wonder if I would if I were a farmer. We walked across a pasture populated by cows and even a bull.

a woman who is said...

Your public walking paths are a completely wonderful idea. When my husband and I visited England we were fascinated. They were closed at the time because of Mad Cow. We noticed the interesting openings to the fields that were just for people. I believe you called them a stile. I enjoyed looking at your pictures of fall decorations too. I find it so interesting that it is a new thing for the U.K.