Thursday 11 October 2007

Broadway - The Cotswolds - Pt 7

Broadway was the nearest large village to where we stayed being just 5 miles away



As throughout the Cotswolds the buildings are built with coloured Limestone and the main street in Broadway is one of the longest in England and dates back to the 16th century.


It was once a busy staging post on route from Worcester to London


It is now crammed with some of the countries best small art galleries







The ice-cream man cometh

An old fashioned sweet shop where they sell everything I could remember as a child
Once the war was over that was




The following pictures of tea pots are from the tearooms where we stopped for afternoon tea

The shop next door sold all of these pots

A dream for a teapot collector
That's if one had a large pocket

























This is Broadway Tower just outside the village

It is known as the 'highest little castle in the Cotswolds'

It stands 1024 feet above sea level and is the second highest point on the Cotswold ridge

It was built in 1799 and is a perfect example of a Gothic Folly

On a clear day, which we had, you can see across to the beginnings of the Welsh mountains

It was also VERY windy the day we went up the tower and it felt rather scarey

I hung on tight while Alan laughed



10 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely! I know several friends who are teapot collectors. They would truly love to add some of those I'm sure.

Anonymous said...

Lovely tour, thank you! I would have stayed a bit longer at Hamiltons!!! I love English sweets!
Barbara

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

That's an amazing array of teapots, though personally I would prefer pretty ones versus kitschy ones like those. But it's fun looking at the collection anyway - such creativity.

The countryside there is so beautiful with the rolling hills and divided fields - just love that last shot.

Susan Skitt said...

Barbara, I feel like I'm being transported through a fairy tale book... oh I must come and see this for myself one day with my family! Thank you for showing us and guiding us on this journey!

Willow said...

Is the swath of green grass unusual on the side of the street?

I really MUST go there! I shall have tea and sweets and take a walk and climb to the top of the tower, too.

And I will hang on tight to The Professor and he'll laugh, too.

Beach Girl said...

Hi Barbara,

Thank you for your prayers and the encouraging comment you left for me.

I always feel as though I am right there with you in England. Thank you so much for the tours you give us.

Vanessa

TO BECOME said...

I love tea pots and I would love to visit the place there that has so many of them. Beautiful scenery and shops. Thanks, Barbara

connie from Texas

Merisi said...

A visual feast! The buildings, the countryside and the tea pots. Thank you, I break for tea pots, you know (my favorite being the ones filled with fresh brewed tea, though *g*).
You make me want to travel to Britain.

Merisi said...

Well, proofreading! I brake for tea pots, of course. :-)

Susan said...

More beauty and lovely sights. I loved all the teapots.
Susan