Tuesday 16 October 2007

Bourton-on-the-Water. Cotswolds Pt 8

We visited Bourton-on-the-Water twice while away.

The first visit was on Sunday.

Having not visited for 19 years I was taken aback at how busy and crowded it was. We did not stay long and returned during the week when it was quieter.

Like many of the Cotswold villages one of its endearing features is the river running through the middle.

Bourton is often referred to as the Venice of the Cotswolds on the strength of six picturesque bridges across the river Windrush.

There are public houses, tea rooms, ice-cream parlours, restaurants and an abundance of shops,many owned by the people serving you.

It's origins can be traced back to Roman times and beyond.

There is evidence to suggest a Bronze age settlement (1500-700 BC)existed here.


When we returned we visited a model of the village

This was quite stunning and amazing buy will do that in the next post

For now I hope you will enjoy Bourton




Two ways across the river











Riverside restaurant












Sorry the pictures are a bit dull - I took them early evening when it was quieter


Still a lot more posts to come on the Cotswolds

We really did use every minute




12 comments:

Vee said...

Oh the weather must be quite mild for the lady to be lying in the park. No lying in the park here today! :)

Guess what? I am also giving you the "You Make Me Smile" award. {running away quickly before I get beaned}

Susan Skitt said...

Like a picture book...

Betty said...

Barbara,

The photographs look fantastic to me....so picturesque......Betty

~~Deby said...

oh my goodness did these bring back memories...I lived up in Little Rissington..and loved Bourton on the WAter...I used to work in Stow on the wold...wow do I miss it ALL..
Deby

Anonymous said...

I love all the photos, now to decide which one to have as my desk top this week ...

Unknown said...

They did not look dull to me. In fact, I could use an evening at that riverside restaurant. I wonder if they serve salmon?

Susie said...

Lovely pictures Barbara! Do cars actually drive across the river if so does the river never rise too high for passage?

Willow said...

I can just imagine Bilbo Baggins walking around this village.

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Barbara.....

Lovely pictures of Bourton. Your visit was well timed to enable you to photograph the scenes with so few people about. Its always very crowded in the summertime, so we always timed our visits to avoid the visitors. The model village was a favourite for the children and so too was Birdland, you didn’t mention that, so I wonder if its still open?
Thanks for sharing your visit, as always, its been a pleasure. Marion

inspired said...

looks absolutly amazing ;]

Susan said...

Oh my, what a lovely place that would be to visit :o)
Susan

JacquiG said...

These pictures bring back memories. My Aunt and Uncle took me there on one of my visits home. Such a beautiful and unique place. Thanks for the memories!