Monday 8 September 2008

Harlow Carr RHS Garden,Yorkshire Pt.7

We are staying in town this morning and going to Harlow Carr, the Royal Horticultural Society Gardens of the North. The main one in the South, Wisley, is to the South West of London - not to be confused with Kew, the Royal Botanical Gardens which I posted on recently.

Harlow Carr has a Betty's Tearoom (more on Betty's coming soon) and we make our way straight there on arrival. If one is seated within 25 minutes of arriving, as we were, then that is a bonus. Betty's is so popular that one expects a long wait. After enjoying our coffee and teacakes, and impeccable service in lovely and elegant surroundings, we wonder if the rain is going to stop. It doesn't !

These RHS gardens are places of study, research and experiments and a place where keen gardeners can learn much to use in their own gardens. Having experimented and worked in my own garden for decades I am more inclined these days to just visit and enjoy the plantings and settings.

So if you don't mind getting wet you are welcome to join me. There are a lot of different gardens to see from different eras and with different themes and woodland walks but the photography is limited as it was not easy trying to keep my camera dry.


Umbrellas galore







The wild gardens





A modern garden


In the children's garden!




The gardener's have to work no matter what the weather is doing





We have had enough of the rain and don't want to queue again at Betty's so will have lunch at our next stop, Harewood House.


11 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

Wow! It is amazing how lush and green everything is over there, Barbara. We had a terribly dry August and our grass is the color of dry wheat.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Oh how wonderful those pictures were. I adore the monster in the kids garden. Thank you!

Lulu said...

how beautiful

Patsy said...

Lovely, Lovely place.

Vee said...

Can't wait to read more about Betty's as it sounds like my kind of place.

The gardens are beautiful rain or shine. I wonder what those frames are in the fourth photo.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness Barbara, you have just transported me back home to Yorkshire! Now I feel really homesick...Harlow Carr Gardens is one of my Mum's favourite places to visit and I have been with her. Harrogate was home before I moved to Canada...Darley Mill has to be one of my favourite places to visit in Nidderdale and the view of Menwith Hill is very familiar.

The views of the Yorkshire Dales bring back memories of my Gold Duke of Edinburgh's Award expedition when I walked 60 miles around the Dales including a night spent camping at How Stean Gorge.

Thank you for sharing these much missed places with me.

Marie x

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Very lovely, even in the rain. All those masses of color and shape mixed together as they are is quite striking. And...it's the first time I've ever toured a garden with an umbrella over my head (I have a good imagination)! Very refreshing.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully composed pics Barabra. Is there much flood damage around there? Been hearing about it in the news for the East coast and Midlands. Betty's in York was packed and as we can get betty's tea here we didn't go in. It looked very elegant though.

inspired said...

:] Hi

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the feast for the eyes - it was "very yummy"!

Barbara said...

How far away from London City is this garden? This must be my next garden visit when staying in London.