Wednesday 24 September 2008

Fountains Abbey Church, Yorkshire Pt.15

St Mary’s Church, located in the deer park, is one of the most richly decorated churches of the Gothic Revival, designed by William Burges in 1871 and considered to be one of his finest works. This church was commissioned by the Marquis of Ripon to become the Parish Church. The church is one of a pair, the other, in the nearby village of Skelton was commissioned by Lady Mary Vyner (cousin of the Marquis) to commemorate the murder of her youngest son in Greece.

It was worth walking 2 miles through the deer park in the pouring rain to see the stained glass windows, painted ceilings and walls, marble pillars amongst amazing gold leafed artwork and architecture. The solid brass door was a sight to behold.



I must apologise for the poor quality of the pictures. I did not have my tri-pod (always leave it at home!) and there was little light inside.






Outside Door



Inside Door


Ceilings





Windows and pillars








Spiral staircase


8 comments:

nanatrish said...

Oh how I love those stained glass windows. Aren't old churches so beautiful? You have so much beauty and charm near you. Someday I hope to return to England. I enjoyed my first trip and I know I would appreciate it even more now that I'm older.

Sue Seibert said...

This is lovely. Our Anglican church has beautiful stained glass windows. They are such a treasure in a church!

Jeanne said...

Beautiful my lovely friend.
Love you
Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara, I love the stained glass! It was seeing windows like that which made me want to learn how to make them myself. There hasn't been much time or need though in this house. I've only done the front door (one of my very early blog posts, so yes ages ago!). I love the painted ceiling too. I wish more Medieval church painting survived.

Needled Mom said...

The preservation of the structures is just marvelous. I would doubt that you could find anyone to do that sort of work anymore. Your photos are always so beautiful and should be in books.

Thanks for the journey.

Vee said...

The colors in that stained glass...glorious! They probably showed up even better because of the rain...light may have washed them out. The angel hovering above each scene is lovely. Thank the Lord for His angels!

Your picture taking is still marvelous, Barabara, tripod or no.

Willow said...

I feel like I've been in a cathedral! What a lovely church. Does the Skelton church look exactly like it?

Reflection Through The Seasons said...

Hello Barbara......

What a beautiful Gothic style church and those windows are a sight to behold...... and I’m sure in real life they are even more amazing. The door was quite a surprise.... I wouldn’t care for the job of cleaning that expanse of brass though. I do love Yorkshire, particularly this part. Marion