Thursday 5 April 2007

The Donkey

A Poem for Easter

THE DONKEY

When fishes flew and forests walked
And figs grew upon thorn,
Some moment when the moon was blood
Then surely I was born;

With monstrous head and sickening cry
And ears like errant wings,
The devil's walking parody
On all four-footed things.

The tattered outlaw of the earth,
Of ancient crooked will;
Starve, scourge, deride me: I am dumb,
I keep my secret still.

Fools! for I also had my hour;
One far fierce hour and sweet:
There was a shout about my ears,
And palms before my feet.


by G K Chesterton

6 comments:

Tracy said...

Lovely! Thank you for this beautiful poem, and for your sweet comments on my blog! Oh , to hear your accent would be a bit of heaven to me!

Jeanne said...

Thanks for your Easter Prayer and all that you share.
Love Jeanne

Unknown said...

Thanks Barbara. I'd be delighted to have you use anything you like. Blessings to you this Easter holiday.

Anonymous said...

Carrying a King. Sacred donkey :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Easter Barbara, blessings, Renee x

Anonymous said...

Gosh what a coincedence Stuart suggested that I post this poem for Easter, but I ran out of time.
Hope you had a happy time.