Tuesday 28 May 2013

The Old and the New with a Walk thrown in.

These photos were taken in September 2011 and have been waiting on the 'back burner' to be posted

Regular followers of my blog will know that I have posted on Leigh-on-Sea many times,
the reason being, that our closest and most long standing friends lived there and we stayed there over many years when they were away. It is also only 40 minutes from home



Summer 2011

This is the home that they rented for many years but had to leave when the owner died
The property originally consisted of 2 semi-detached homes which were eventually turned into 4 apartments, our friends living in the ground floor on the left


Summer 2012
As there were no children the property was left to 2 nephews and the above photo shows the two new houses that they built for themselves after demolishing the original property
Very modern and with great views over the estuary
I do miss the old one though as it was like a second home



Having parked the car we begin with a coffee
over looking the Thames estuary




We leave the restaurant and take a walk into the town from the parade where our friends lived







before returning to the top of the cliffs



and make our way down into the old town over the bridge on the left which crosses the railway line
It is high tide so the fishing boats are in





A restaurant selling freshly caught fish



and then we come to several outlets that sell all kinds of seafood



and beer and drinks



looking back



and here a tea room and ice cream parlour


next to a quaint cottage





and now the HQ of the local Sea Scouts






till we reach the beach 



in re-tracing our steps we take you down this corridor


onto the deck of a restaurant


where many people are enjoying drinks
The restaurant which is on the right is quite upmarket so a dress code essential but lounging out on the deck is casual
Hope you enjoyed yet another walk around Leigh-on-Sea




11 comments:

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Blue skies, blue see, and lots of sunshine. A couple of those places look familiar from your previous posts I think. What a wonderful view. It's nice to know the beach is only 40 minutes away on a nice day.

Elizabethd said...

Lovely to see blue skies!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope your friends moved close by. It is a beautiful place to visit. The pictures are all so pretty. I could just picture myself dining on the deck there. What a wonderful view.

Lorrie said...

I did enjoy the walk! But I don't think it counted for exercise. What a charming place.
New construction is necessary but I sigh over old buildings.

La Petite Gallery said...

That's my kind of place, almost looks like Port Clyde, Maine, the restaurant part..I like the orig. house, not the new one.
40 minutes is like I drive to villages. Makes a nice day out.
Enjoyed your post. yvonne

elizabeth said...

As you know, very much my part of the world!
Lovely to visit, as ever!

Vee said...

Oh dear...having so many troubles figuring out this iPad..have lost a lengthy comment and it's all my own fault. Okay, what led to this difficulty was that I wandered off to see where Doc Martin is filmed...Port Isaac...because this community reminds me of that one a little. I'd hoped that you weren't going to tell us that the second building was the remodeled first...even worse! The first is so charming...the second not so much, though the views no doubt are spectacular. Hope that your friends have found a new residence every bit as delightful as the first.

nikkipolani said...

There's something very striking about the more modern remake of the homes that I quite like, but I do understand your preference for the cozy familiar versions. The walk about town is just lovely. Makes me want to spend days and days in the area, exploring lazily, tasting some of that ice cream and stopping to pick up some fresh seafood.

bristowmom said...

I find it sad that the old buildings were torn down. They looked charming while the new houses just look...new. Looks like a lovely day

Canadian Chickadee said...

Oh my gosh -- you are making me homesick!! My beloved sister-in-law lives in Leigh, up at the top of the hill, just off the London Road and the Highlands Parade!

The first house you showed, overlooking the estuary, looks as if it was quite close to the house which belonged to her parents, many years ago.

The only thing wrong with your post is that it's too short! I am going to have to book a trip soon, so my sister-in-law and I can visit all the old haunts.

Willow said...

When we visited in 2008, Leigh-on-Sea was one of my favorite spots! Now I must revisit my photos from there. I recognize several spots: morning coffee plaza, the knit shop, the walk along the shore.