Saturday 11 May 2013

Cookies & Cookies

It's a long time since I have posted on baking. I still bake regularly but don't get around to taking photos
I did this time


Oat biscuits with Cranberries
These are out of this world delicious
The recipe came from Joanna Trollope a popular author. It was her contribution to a recipe book being sold to support breast cancer
They are melt in the mouth crumbly



Stem Ginger Biscuits
Recipe from Sunday Mail 'You' Magazine
These are melt in the mouth crumbly too
 with a real kick of ginger
Recipes as follows

Oat Biscuits with Cranberries  (Joanna Trollope’s)
6 oz self-raising flour                    2 ¾ oz Porridge oats                     5 ½ oz granulated sugar
1tsp bicarbonate of soda            1 tspn baking powder                  6 oz butter
2 tbsp golden syrup                      3 oz dried cranberries (optional)

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4.  Grease two large baking trays.
Put the self-raising flour, oats, sugar, bicarbonate of soda and baking powder into a bowl.
Place the butter and golden syrup in a pan and melt slowly over a low heat.
When completely melted pour into the dry ingredients and stir thoroughly. At this stage can also add the dried cranberries.
With a teaspoon scoop out small spoonfuls, roll them into a ball and place (not too close together) on the baking trays. Flatten slightly with teaspoon. Bake for 12 – 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer carefully with a fish slice to a wire rack and cool before serving.


Stem Ginger Biscuits
4 ½ oz butter, softened                3 ¼ oz golden caster sugar          1 tsp vanilla essence
2 balls of stem ginger very finely chopped          
5 oz self-raising flour     2 tbsp ground ginger

Pre-heat the oven to 180C/160C fan/4 gas and line 2 baking sheets with greasproof paper.
Cream together the butter, sugar and vanilla essence until pale and fluffy (about 5 mins. using an electric hand whisk)
Fold in the chopped stem ginger. Bring together to form a dough.
Using a tspn scoop out the dough and form into balls (about the size of a walnut). Place on prepared baking sheets about 5cm apart and flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.
Place in oven and bake 12 – 15 minutes until biscuits are golden and firm. Remove from oven and place on wire rack to cool completely. If wished dust with icing sugar to serve. 



20 comments:

Terri said...

They do look delicious! I have figured out that the golden castor sugar is our brown sugar, and will just look at my measuring things to see about the oz measurements, but the fish slice... What is that? Is it a (pancake) flipper? We do speak a different (funny) version of English here.
Thanks for sharing the recipes. I know it's lots of work to type it all down for us.
Hugs

nikkipolani said...

Ooooooh! My mother loves ginger and spicy cookies. Thanks for the recipes!

Annie Jeffries said...

Oats baked any way at all are my favorite. I love the texture of oatmeal cookies and baked oatmeal with all the goodies that are blended into them. Divine.

Merisi said...

Oh, these look so tempting! I wished I could just reach for one. ;-)

Is it baking powder that is in the self-raising flour?
I have not seen this type of flour around here. I would never leave out the cranberries, I imagine them being just perfect in there.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It's a good day for baking cookies here but I'm not going to do it as I'd be the only one eating them. Your recipes sound wonderful. Chilly and wet weather here. I've put a pot of soup on.

Adrienne said...

I only wish I lived close enough to share these with tea while we chat! Thank you for sharing them with us. I'm going to try them soon.
~Adrienne~

Elizabethd said...

I like the sound of the oat biscuits (there's another word that doesn't mean the same in America!) Thank you, I think I'll put that recipe in my book and try it soon.

Trisha said...

Oh my Barbara, these look so good!!!

Lorrie said...

Ooh, the cranberry oat biscuits look delicious. What does self rising flour do if you still add baking powder and baking soda to it? Would I add more of those ingredients if I used regular flour?

Needled Mom said...

They look delicious, Barbara. I think the golden syrup is our Karo syrup...right? It's been so long since I cooked over there.

elizabeth said...

A wonderful change from the ubiquitous chocolate chip!
THey look delicious.

Scriptor Senex said...

I think I'll try the oat biscuits. I do a similar flapjack but without the cranberries so it will be interesting to see what it's like with fruit in.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Both recipes are very appealing to me. I can imagine how delicious they are.

This is the first time I've ever heard the term "fish slice" but the actual implement is very familiar to me. We call them spatulas here. Language never ceases to entertain!

Gracie Saylor said...

Mmmmmm they look yummy, Barbara! Thanks for sharing the recipes :-)
Gracie

Bernideen said...

How wonderful to have you give a recipe out - love the fact that it is ENGLISH!

Cheri said...

These look Yummy!!!

bristowmom said...

The oat biscuits sound yummy. I'm glad someone pointed out that your golden syrup is our brown sugar, because I would have guessed it was our corn syrup which probably would not have yielded a good result!

Barbara said...

Most definitely our Golden Syrup is
NOT your brown sugar Bristowoman. It is a thick sugar syrup. If you want to check it out on net it is Tate & Lyle's Golden syrup.

Lori Zehr said...

I remember seeing and discussing Golden Syrup with my friend in England when we were comparing recipes. I too, thought it was our corn syrup. I wish I had purchased some to bring home. Does anyone know if we Americans have a similar product?

Bernideen said...

I was going to print out the Lemon Brownies and saw this too!