Saturday 3 September 2016

Myddleton House Gardens, Essex


Coffee time

Made a short trip out to Myddleton Gardens a couple of weeks ago. Did not want to go far as I am still waiting to have an M.R.I. scan on my lower back and hip. Sitting in the car and walking are painful right now so we have not been able to make the many trips out that we usually do in the Summer.

The Gardens at Myddleton House tell a compelling story about one of Britain’s most famous self-taught gardeners, artists and expert botanists - Edward Augustus Bowles.
He lived in Myddelton House from 1865 to 1954 and dedicated much of his life to transforming the Gardens with his love of unusual and exotic plants.
In 2009, the Gardens were awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund grant, enabling a two year project to restore several areas of the Gardens to their former glory, in particular the Kitchen Garden.
To date, the Victorian Potting Shed, Bowles’ original cold frames and the Peach House have been restored. (Above note taken from website) 


What surprised me was just how dried out the plants were and the burned dry grass.
After a VERY wet Spring we have had a dry and at times hot Summer but I was not expecting this. Of course the number of trees would not have helped.







Of course the Cacti and Succulents were happy









The area around the Carp pond was more luscious 










Here we see the dreaded Japanese Knotweed that is taking over on parts of our rivers and canals. It grows and takes over so fast that it can be difficult to sell a house if it has taken up residence in the garden.
It is well contained here and the idea of growing it is to educate people in recognising it and showing how vigorous it is.




Had a sandwich lunch in the tearoom and are now ready for home



9 comments:

Gracie Saylor said...

Your description of your summer mirrored ours this year, but the first days of September have brought us enough rain showers that our plants are already looking less stressed. Thanks for sharing your visit to the Gardens with us, especially since you have been knowing some pain of late. I'm asking the Lord to sort out the cause and relieve you pain soon. xx

ellen b said...

I sure hope you get an MRI soon and get some relief, too. Even with the burned grass it looks like a nice garden.

Vee said...

Yes, that is how summer has been here as well and my lawn may actually look a lot like that. I did break down and decide that I would have to do some watering. Have a soaker hose that I use so have the water turned down low and keep it on for thirty minutes. I do it every other day. The roses are a little happier.

I am sorry, Barbara, that your back and hip are giving you ongoing grief. I hope that you get some answers and some relief so that you can get back to doing what you love. May God bless and heal.

Winifred said...

We've had a mixed summer so no problems with dried out lawns. Lovely photos Barbara.
Hope your back problems are sorted out soon.

Janneke said...

So interesting to see you visited the gardens of E.A. Bowles, should like to visit that place too when it´s totally restored but I think my life is too short to visit all I should like to visit. I suppose it must be nice early spring for Mr. Bowles was an expert in bulbs, but the gardens have been neglected a long time. I have his books My Garden in Autumn and Winter, In Spring, In Summer. That makes it even more interesting to visit.
I hope so they can do something for you in the hospital to relieve the pain Barbara. I wish all the best for you.

Deanna said...

Very sorry you are having so much pain. Pray all turns out alright. Lovely tour of gardens.
Blessings to you,
d

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It is somewhat surprising to see brown lawns in England! But it's a very familiar sight in my part of the world. The gardens, nonetheless, are lovely. Thank you for the photo of the green-leafed arbor with the stone path! A tea break or lunch would be very pleasant under those umbrellas in the first photo I think. I am glad you enjoyed a day out despite the health issues.

Adrienne said...

I am praying for you, my friend. I understand how lower back and hip pain affect everything you do. Loved traveling along with you to see part of your world.
~Adrienne~

Ag said...

My best thoughts to you on your hip and back issues Barbara.
Perhaps by now you have had your MRI.
Audrey.