Saturday 30 August 2014

Netley Abbey, Hampshire

With the ruins of Netley Abbey sitting just 10 minutes from where we were staying cat sitting recently we thought it a must to visit

This monastery was founded by the Bishop of Winchester in
1238. The impressive remains include the church, the chapter house and the Abbott's lodging. After the abbey was suppressed by King Henry VIII it was converted into a Tudor Mansion House.
In the 18th and 19th centuries the ruins were celebrated by romantic writers, poets and artists 



ruins always make for interesting photos




















a  modern house in the centre of the picture


the internal water spring




8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Such splendid ruins!
Lovely photos.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

I always like to imagine what it was once like!

Patsy said...

Amazing Ruins I like the window best then the spring.
I had my (75) birthday this month,
how should I feel. Happy, sad are glad I made it. LOL

Vee said...

You were right to go and find out what it was all about. Striking photos...crisp and clear. The architecture is impressive and it must be such a scene to have those walls standing like that...the best of nature and architecture.

POIROT said...

The ruins of old stone houses are impressive for me because we have no such ruins in Japan. Japanese traditional houses have been mostly made of wood and paper.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

All those old stones . . . it's hard to imagine how they managed to construct such large but graceful buildings so long ago. The scope of hard work involved to accomplish such a task boggles my mind.

Anonymous said...

How lucky you are to be able to walk around these amazing ruins. Your pictures are so clear, and I can imagine myself walking amongst the old walls and stones.
Just lovely, thank you Barbara.
Audrey.

La Petite Gallery said...

Thank you for this post. Wow! what interesting way they built, and it
lasted so long. yvonne