Saturday 28 February 2009

CLIVEDEN

It is a damp and drizzly day in May 2008. We have arrived at Cliveden and just eaten a picnic lunch sitting in our car in the rain. We have come to visit the gardens only, as this magnificent house is now let as a hotel and only open to visitors at limited times. Today is not one of them.


The gardens overlook the River Thames and were once the exclusive haunt of the rich and famous. Cliveden was the glittering hub of society as the home of Waldorf and Nancy Astor in the early part of the 20th century.


We will begin by walking around the outside of the house and then on through the formal gardens before entering part of the woodlands that will take us down to the Thames.
















Looking out across the parterre towards the Thames









Down into the formal gardens







Easy access to the gardens from the house













Looking back towards the house











We are now about to trample through the woods towards the river and are not aware at this point just how steep the bank is. We are promised beautiful riverside walks at the bottom.













After our riverside walk we decide to take the longer but more civilised route back to the house



We are nearly there!




Cliveden dates back to 1668








We go through the gates and walk the length of the drive





before turning right to the car park
hope you enjoyed your visit


18 comments:

Susan said...

Such physical beauty of there.
Susan

Andrea said...

Absolutely magnificent! It has always been my dream to visit England. Seeing your pictures reminds me of that longing. Thank you.

Willow said...

Wow! It looks like the gardens and grounds are larger than Hampton Court Palace! That was quite a steep walk to the Thames!

Lorrie said...

I love touring the English countryside with you as my guide! A virtual holiday on a Saturday morning is a perfect way to start my day of cleaning and laundry.

Lorrie

Needled Mom said...

The pictures do not show the dreary weather that you spoke of. They are all gorgeous. I will have to add that to my list of places to someday visit.

Anonymous said...

I'm sure they used that house in the remake of Pride and Prejudice, or maybe it was on a Midsomer Murders, it looks familiar.

Lulu said...

what a beautiful place...

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

What vast grounds....one would have no trouble at all achieving 10,000 steps there!

I'm so glad I enlarged the photo of the formal gardens; it is much more impressive when I could see the beautiful lavender color in the beds...

And I'm intrigued by that vine growing along the wall that looks identical to magnolia leaves and blossoms!

Gwendolyn said...

Wow! Such opulent beauty! Thank you for taking me on the tour with you!

a woman who is said...

Glad I caught Sara's comment about clicking the pictures. Just lovely!

Anonymous said...

I loved the fountain sculptures, and the views. Riverside walks are so beautiful- those steps though!

I wish my lawn looked like that. The ravages of the hounds and the wet weathr have taken their toll this year.

I think Nancy Astor's diaries were published.

Vee said...

A lovely place. It always surprises me that you are able to capture the photos with so few people about. I take it your path through the forest was not quite as pleasant as you might have hoped.

My favorite photo (#15) is the glimpse through to the garden. I always love gates, peeks-through, open doors, open windows. I'm a nut!

Thank you for another wonderful tour.

zetor said...

Very Picturesque , the clock is beautiful

Winifred said...

It's certainly a beautiful house and gardens. Not a tourist in sight too so it's a good idea to limit the numbers, allowed you to get fantastic shopts. I love the clock too.

Linda said...

I certainly did enjoy the visit. What a place.

Tina said...

Wonderful pictures, dear Barbara and what a lovely place to visit.
x

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

How I would love to be exploring those delightful gardens today! Thanks so much for the glimpse of them on my screen!!

duopastorale said...

Sure, tis a lovely place. But I don't think I've visited inside the house yet.
This I Do...