Saturday 18 August 2018

Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk Part 3


If you have not already looked at part 1 and 2, I would suggest that you did as there is some history there as well as many photos of this magnificent house.
Starting this post with pictures of the Priest's Hole.

Priest holes were concealed spots created especially for Priests, so they could hide away safely during a time when Catholics were persecuted. Under Elizabeth I, Priests were often imprisoned , tortured, and even killed. Priest holes were especially disguised within a house to baffle search parties.


Ancient Royal robes




Another uncomfortable chair





Outdoor Chess being played

The Estate church





These paintings on the wall showed all the stations of the cross




Outside again and into the gardens


including the kitchen garden where food was grown for the family and the restaurant

Ruins of the old church


and lastly the King's bedroom
Hope you enjoyed touring this house


7 comments:

ellen b. said...

You've provided us a wonderful tour. That's so interesting about the Priest's hole.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Although the inside and all it holds are certainly interesting, and so much history there to ponder (and I'd really enjoy spending time in the library looking at the books) I think I still love the gardens and the brick walls and arched entryways best. Thank you for the tour, Barbara!

Vee said...

Very interesting. Quite amazing that so many of the treasures of the castle are still there to see. I was intrigued by the hiding place. I hope no priest ever had to use it.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You always take such great pictures. Sad there were times when a priest hole was needed. Still today there are parts of the world where some suffer for their faith. Hope you are having a good summer there, it is fast fading and soon Fall will be here.

CherryPie said...

Lovely tour, I particularly enjoyed seeing the priest hole.

Lorrie said...

Another interesting post about Oxburgh Hall. Were priest's holes used during the reign of Cromwell, too, or just in Elizabethan times?

That is a VERY uncomfortable looking chair. I do love the long borders in the garden against the wall. I tell Tim that a walled garden is my dream. Highly unlikely here.

Ag said...

Another wonderful history lesson! Priests would have been terrified during these times.
I enjoy seeing your photos and it's nice to get to the outside pictures after being on the inside Oxburgh Hall.
Beautiful gardens.
Audrey.