Saturday 21 July 2018

Oxburgh Hall, Norfolk Part 1


At last getting to finish posting from last Summer. This will actually take 3 posts as Oxburgh Hall is an amazing place and so photogenic as well as the history.
We visited here on our way home from our week away in Norfolk
Click on photos to enlarge them

Oxburgh Hall is a 15th century moated Manor House


surrounded by the moat





Across the moat and into the Courtyard



Unfortunately there was some repair work taking place which necessitated portable loos


Our first stop was the tea room as we were ready for a light lunch




Built in 1482 by the Catholic Bedingfield family, it is the enduring legacy of their survival through turbulent times. There are 500 years of history to explore, with hidden doors, rooftop views and a secret Priest's hole.
Discover the legacy of the Victorian 6th Baronet who created much of what we see today. Admire the Victorian Gothic interiors, and ornate architectural additions that reflected a romantic view of Oxburgh's medieval past, or enjoy the walled garden and the French parterre. Laid to rest in the private chapel that he built, you will also see the stunning 16th century Dutch Triptych alter piece.
The collections include embroideries worked by
Mary, Queen of Scots and colourful wallpapers from the mid 19th century.









watching the fish in the moat from inside








Two more posts to come. I hate splitting it up like this but there are far too many photos for one post.
I have finally managed to get to the bottom of photo issues.
When I take photos with my i-pad which I mostly do now, they go through i-cloud and blogger will not recognise these.
It means I have to get them into pictures on my computer before I can use them and/or print them. I-cloud is nothing more than a storage facility.
To be continued


8 comments:

Terri said...

Beautiful... reminds me of Downton Abbey. Love your tours. Looking forward to the next installment. Thanks for sharing.
Hugs

Needled Mom said...

That is a beautiful place to visit and the history part of it must be fascinating.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So nice to see a post from you. I always enjoy the bits and pieces of history you have to show us. Yes, I always transfer my pictures to my computer in order to use them in the blog too.

Vee said...

Yes, it does remind me also of Downton Abbey scenes...furniture and placement also the portraits. How interesting that the moat is filled with fish. I would very much enjoy watching them.

Lorrie said...

The history of such a home is fascinating. Imagine living with a moat! I would think it would be very damp indoors. Lovely rooms and photos. Glad to hear your photo issues are being resolved.

RasmaSandra said...

Such a wonderful place. Your photos make me want to go visit.

Ag said...

Lovely informative photos.
I love it that I can travel to England with you having not being able to get there for the last six years. These are very special for me to see.
I am now going to your second post.
Thank you Barbara.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Lovely photos, Barbara. I looked at them all closely to see the wonderful details. Even the window latches are decorative (looking at the fish from inside photo)...now on to the next post....