Monday 5 March 2018

No, I Have Not Given Up on Blogging!


Not having posted since December it would look like I have given up on posting on this blog.
Not true, the reason is that I am recovering from a stroke, a TIA.


I got Alan to take this photo of me a few weeks ago.
I look normal and no-one would know.

Briefly, it happened probably early December but I did not recognise it. The symptoms were not the common ones and subsided quickly so I ignored them.
As the month went on I found a reason for my bruises, clumsiness and just missing shelves, etc. when I tried to place things.
It was Christmas when I started to have visual problems but it wasn't until (early January) that I went to my Opticians as I felt there must be something wrong with my new lenses that I received late November after my latest eye tests which showed no problems.

After again being tested I left having been told that I had lost a quarter of my vision in both eyes and the only answer my optician had was that I had suffered a stroke. He wrote letters for me and my doctor. However 2 doctor friends said I needed to go to Accident and Emergency as the problem was in my brain and not my eyes.

After many consultations and tests I had a CT scan which confirmed a stroke and I was kept in hospital for observation.
As well as the partial loss of sight I had lost my peripheral vision on the right side and also spacial awareness on my right side.
It was a complete shock.
I have also had constant hallucinations since then but they do seem to be lessening a little. 

I am still coming to terms with the fact that it has happened and finding it hard adjusting. As well as the sight the fingers on my right hand can have a mind of their own and I really have to concentrate, hence my not posting before.
Being unable to drive has hit hard.  

My husband Alan who is 86 has been amazing taking over looking after the home, etc. while I get my strength and confidence back.
I also appreciate the phone calls, cards, E-Mails and help from friends when needed.
I'm told it will take 2 years for sight to return (if then).
I know I am blessed, it could have been worse.

I have begun a post from last years Norfolk holiday but will leave it for today I have had enough typing.


20 comments:

Anne Jeffries said...

I'm so glad you posted this Barbara. I was aware of what happened but the details beyond TIA, I missed. Good bless you. You are a strong woman. Thanks for letting me know in your FB comment that you posted again. Welcome back.

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh dear friend, I am so sorry to read this.
Thank goodness it wasn't any worse, yet losing partial sight and sensory issues are such a worry by themselves.
As far as not posting regularly, I just thought maybe you were busy, and would fill us in later..... if only.
Sending healing and caring wishes your way, please take good care of yourself, and your caretaker, your wonderful husband !
Hugs
~Jo

Elizabethd said...

I am so sorry to hear of your stroke and will keep you in prayer for a full recovery. It does take a long time, as I know from my husband's stroke some years ago.

Louca por porcelana said...

I hope you get better soon...God is good and He is taking care of you.Hugs and best wishes for your husband and you.Sincerely,Maristella.

ellen b said...

Barbara, I am sorry to hear about your stroke. Thank you for posting and letting us know. I will add your name to the two friends we have that are recovering from strokes they had over a year ago. May God heal your body and give both you and your husband strength during this time.

Vee said...

Sorry to read this and amazed at the same time. Thank you for letting us know so that we can be praying specifically. I am praying that your healing comes more quickly than two years. Thank God for Alan taking over the household chores. You did a splendid job doing all that typing. Sending love across the miles...

Deanna said...

Dear One, Thinking about you. So very sorry about TIA and loss of eye sight. Will be praying for you.
d

Connie said...

I am so sorry to hear this...but praise God that you are on the mend! Thankful your sweet husband has been a help to you...blessings to you both. Will look forward to further updates as you recover.

Lorrie said...

I am so sorry to read this, Barbara, but very glad that you are recovering. These things happen so suddenly. May God grant you daily grace and strength.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

It's good to see you back here Barbara. You certainly look great. As always, prayers for continued progress and healing are being sent your way, with lots of love. To Alan too.

Elizabeth said...

Dear Barbara,
Thank you for posting details of your medical adventures. I'm so very sorry and am so glad you are recovering a bit.
Alan really must be your prop and staff. Good for him!
And thank heavens for the NHS without which you would be thousands of dollars in debt!

Sending lots of love and strengthening wishes your war
Elizabeth and Robert

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

You are a brave lady. I pray your health continues to improve and that someday this will only be a memory.

Bernideen said...

Dear Barbara:
I just read your post and taking a moment right now to lift you up in prayer that healing blessings would come over your household today!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thank the good Lord you are recovering. It could have been so much worse. Take good care and get better each day ! I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

Needled Mom said...

Like others, Barbara, I will be praying for a full recovery for you. I am so sorry to read this as I am sure it must feel so foreign to you - someone who has always been so active and in good health. The therapy to get back is so tiring so I will be keeping you in my thoughts.

Denise at Forest Manor said...

Oh Barbara, I'm so very sorry to read that you suffered a stroke. It's scary to think this could happen and we wouldn't know it at the time. My mother-in-law suffered some mini-strokes years ago, and I believe they happened in her sleep.

I'm glad your husband has been so good about helping you out; it's wonderful to have a caring spouse. My thoughts and prayers will be with you, Barbara, and I'm glad you posted to let us all know what's going on with you.

Take care and hope to hear from you again soon!

Warm hugs,

Denise

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

Hope that things are progressing well for you Barbara. I know you have lots of amazing support from famiky, friends and church members. Take care and continue to heal.

RasmaSandra said...

Many blessings to you both. You are lucky to have such a wonderful husband and glad he is standing strong. I will put you in my prayers.

Ag said...

Dear Barbara,
I am so sorry to read this post about your TIA. It sounds very scary for you. It's so nice that you have your wonderful husband to care for you.
I hope you will keep recovering day by day and send you good health wishes.
Audrey.

CherryPie said...

I am so sorry to hear this, how awful for you. It is good to hear that you are in good hands and being looked after.

Praying for a speedy recovery for you xx