Sunday 10 December 2017

Almost 50 Years since I got to See or Talk to my Brother


What fun this was - an hour talking to my youngest brother (he is 13 years younger than me) Stephen in Melbourne, Australia. 
It was strange as hard to recognise even a brother after almost 50 years.
Emotional too, as when Stephen was 11 years old we brought him down to London, from Liverpool (my childhood city) for a while because our Mother was recovering from surgery, our Father had memory loss and was found wandering in Manchester quite some miles away and our Grandmother had broken her leg.
We were living among a Jewish community in North West London in a bed sitting room at the time and our Jewish friends were so kind to us. They took Stephen into their Jewish school and were very generous towards him.
I was the Akela of their Cub Pack at the time.




Stephen photographed by my nephew as we connect on
 Face time. Apparently it was 45degrees there.



Stephen here as an 8 year old at my wedding, along with my 2 other younger brothers. Kenneth on the left also went to live in Australia and I did not see him either and he died 28 years ago.
I'm in touch with 1 of his sons through Facebook.
Kenneth on the left and Geoffrey on the right (who lives in this country) both developed Muscular Dystrophy.
The connection with Stephen a couple of weeks ago was arranged by my nephew, his eldest son, who I have recently connected  with through Facebook. 
My found that my brother Stephen had 3 sons and a daughter so that is 3 nephews and a niece for me.
From that family alone I have 5 great nieces and 6 great nephews. 
(To the right of the photo is our Mother)
I certainly have a much larger family in Australia than over here!  


13 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

A very special connection for you Barbara !
My own little brother was also eight years old when I was married, despite all those years of being apart, we talk like it was just yesterday.
Families separated my miles of ocean, I don't think it ever gets easier.
My grandma was born in "the Pool", we used to go there every Monday to deposit her weekly in Lewis's bank. I loved that city, and went to banking school there, a mear seventeen years old, and living in the big city all by myself :)
Lovely post.
Hugs,
~Jo

Janneke said...

That must be real fun to find your brother back after such a long time and moreover, you have a much larger family as you every thought, great to be able to reconnect with them again.

Pondside said...

This is a story to pull at one's heartstrings. It's never too late...and you have shown that beautifully.

Lorrie said...

What a special time! 50 years is a long time to not have spoken with each other. Isn't modern technology amazing?

Vee said...

What an emotional journey and how wonderful to be reconnected. Many blessings...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

How wonderful! After all that time passed to reconnect. The internet social media is to be applauded for helping to make that happen!

Needled Mom said...

Wow....what a reunion that must have been. I am so happy that you were able to reconnect with each other. You have many years to catch up.

Schnitzel and the Trout said...

How wonderful to reconnect. Reunions always grab my heart and remind me how precious life is.

Kay G. said...

What a wonderful thing, your post has made my day!
What a joyous reunion. Kudos to the nephew for getting this all together!
God bless you and your family.

ellen b said...

Wow, how nice to be able to connect with your brother again.

RasmaSandra said...

I am very happy for you. How wonderful to be able to connect with your brother after 50 years. Many blessings to you both.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

So glad you were able to reconnect after all these years. Technology does have its benefits!

nikkipolani said...

That is amazing, Barbara! I hope you have many more connections with your brother now. Wonderful use of technology, too :-)