Monday 11 September 2017

Sandringham, The Norfolk Retreat of Queen Elizabeth Part 2.

The first thing we do on arrival is go and have coffee.
We break the day down between coffee, lunch and tea as there is lots to see and a lot of walking


Sandringham has been home to 4 generations of British Monarchy.
The house was built in 1876 by the then Prince and Princess of Wales, and later King Edward V11 and Queen Alexandria.

Our Queen sees it as her retreat, Windsor Castle being her home, Buckingham Palace the office and Balmoral the place where the Royal family can holiday in private amongst the Scottish hills. 
Sandringham is the only house that the Monarch owns, all the others belong to The State.

Having concentrated on the gardens in the last post I'll concentrate on some other bits and pieces here.


The house from the front



and back - The tour of the downstairs of the house starts here
no photographs I am afraid - we have been here before and both times I have loved seeing the dining room where the family have Christmas dinner together and where the table is laid ready for such an occasion.


The Queen's favourite horse


and back to the restaurant for lunch (we have of course walked the gardens by now and are ready for it - last post)


I am enjoying the most delicious marinated and slow cooked Pork with the crispiest of Crackling, served on a bed of Herb mash with the tenderest Braised Red Cabbage and Apple.
When we came back later for afternoon tea I filled in a survey and was rewarded a week later when a card arrived in the post telling me that I was a Customer Survey Winner and included and invitation for a Two Course Lunch for Two. It lasts for 2 years and as Sandringham is only 2 hours away and in the lovely Norfolk countryside we may take a 2 night break sometime.

The side of The East Wing



As I said, no photos in the house but whilst walking past I snapped a few windows




A Buddha - a gift to Prince Charles - no comment! 


and Old Father Time


Also on the estate - Park House - Princess Diana's childhood home before her Father inherited Althorpe.

More to come


9 comments:

ellen b said...

What a great looking "house"! That meal looks real good. Love your comment "no comment". :)

Needled Mom said...

Beautiful visit, but I must say my mouth was watering with that pork dish.

Janneke said...

So nice to see this interesting blog after my long blogstop. I enjoyed reading and see all the photos of Sandringham. Wonderful memories came up for my late husband and I visited Sandringham last year in May, we had a lovely day there in and outside.
Greetings, Janneke

Terri said...

I always like your tours. Thanks for taking us along. Your lunch looks delicious!
Hugs

Lorrie said...

Sandringham looks like a wonderful place to visit. Your meal looked spectacular, and how great to have won a drawing for another outing there. Something to look forward to.

RasmaSandra said...

Thank you for a lovely tour and a delicious lunch. Something I wouldn't mind enjoying myself one day.

Sara at Come Away With Me said...

Your lunch was certainly delectable and you describe it so well! What a treat to have won a meal for two - can't wait to see what you select next time! Thank you for the little glimpses through the windows.

Adrienne said...

If I ever get to visit your country, this will be on my list of things to see. More beauty and history.
~Adrienne~

Charm and Grace said...

Enjoying the Sandringham posts very much. Knowing the Queen is such a wonderful horsewoman, I loved seeing the statue of her favorite horse. Would have loved seeing the table laid for the meal! Your photo tours are brilliant. Thanks for taking time to share.