Friday 15 July 2016

We Did Not Make It!

Well what did I say at the end of my last post
"If our plans materialise for next week then I should have plenty of photos!"
We had planned a week away visiting and staying with old friends living in Yorkshire.
Previous to going I had been doing all that I could (along with Alan) to trim, prune and generally tidy up the garden after all the relentless rain and bad weather.
I obviously over did it as the Sciatica that I suffer from got worse and became very painful.


The day before we were due to leave I began harvesting Lavender to dry and sat sideways on my garden lounger to pull the surplus leaves off the stem and as I twisted sideways to pick them up I felt a searing pain across my back and down my leg. Six days later I am in considerable pain and finding walking difficult at times as the Sacroiliac joint has become involved also. 


I continue to enjoy photographing skies of all kinds and above  we see the setting sun  catching the overhead vapour trails from aircraft


and the next evening a different scene with approaching rain clouds moving across the sun



and some of the roses brought inside
We have a number of upcoming events that I do so want to be involved in, including our street party to celebrate her Majesty the Queen's 90th birthday, so need wisdom to know what I should and should not be doing.
Some warm sunny weather might help too!

11 comments:

ellen b said...

So sorry about your sciatica. Hope things settle down. I'm in the wondering stage, too, as I've been having hip pain. Oh bother...

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

So sorry to hear that your back is causing you such problems. Hope you are better soon. Sometimes the only thing that can help is rest. Take good care !

Elizabeth said...

Dear Barbara,
I'm so very very sorry you are missing your holiday in Yorkshire.
I can quite understand the lure of gardening against all odds - and now the advice to pace yourself.
I'm sure you have heard this a million billion times.
Anyway, please rest up a bit and restrain yourself..... if possible!
So admire the sky and smell the roses
and GET BETTER SOON
x

Needled Mom said...

Oh Barbara....I am so sorry. I hope you feel better soon. Your flowers look beautiful and I hope they put a smile on your face when you are feeling terrible.

RasmaSandra said...

I definitely understand and I too am a sciatica sufferer. Hope you feel much better soon. It helps me greatly when the nerve acts up to sleep on a heating pad. Love the pictures. Wonderful lavender and flowers. I once tried growing lavender but didn't succeed.

Terri said...

Oh, Barb, same thing happened to me. I did a little clipping and weeding and next day there was the pain. I put Blue Emu Oil on it right away and took some arthritis strength Tylenol. I am doing better, but not tempting fate by going out to weed again. I'll be happy to take them out just before they seed.
Hang in there, and don't do too much.
Hugs

Bishop Stone said...

I hope you feel better soon. My mum used to have to lie down with a packet of frozen peas on her lower back. Your roses are lovely. We are waiting for some colour to come toour gardens down here.

Anonymous said...

So sorry to hear about your Sacroiliac. We all want to do so much in our gardens and some days it is just not meant to be. Like others who have commented, I too suffer from time to time.
I hope you are feeling a little better. It makes me feel good to look at your beautiful roses and I hope it does the same for you. The colours in your bouquet are exquisite!
Audrey.

Vee said...

Oh what a misery sciatica can be. I am sure that you are doing everything you can to alleviate the pain. I find a cold gel pak on the side affected while seated in the recliner with my knees above my hips works best for me. Currently, I am fighting my way back from a kidney stone episode...another misery. I must do more research because I thought I was doing everything right. I hope that your plans to visit friends are only postponed for a while and not cancelled. Sounds as if you have many plans that sciatica should not mess with.

CherryPie said...

I will tell you the same thing I tell my Mum! You should look after yourself and be careful. Listen to your body...

I hope that your back gets better soon xx

bristowmom said...

I'm sorry to hear of your pain. I had only a slight encounter with sciatica long ago but I remember there was no comfortable position. I hope you can find some relief.

Your flowers are lovely. I like the dark purple of the lavender and the profusion of petals on your roses.