Thursday 5 December 2013

Walking Around Rye - Pt. 4

The last post on walking around Rye


Here we see the old Castle and Keep


with internal garden


and looking back towards the town


inside the battlements with the guns and cannon balls


and looking over towards various boat yards




and on the other side looking down on the Castle Pub


Moving along towards the quayside 



The windmill in centre of picture is where we were originally going to stay but it was fully booked
So glad now as Strand House just 2 miles away was outstanding and in a much more peaceful location (see a previous post) 


an anchor from the first world war


and looking back up towards the town


where we are off to eat lunch at The Mermaid Inn
(a previous post)
I think one should have a good feel for the different aspects of the town by now so we will say goodbye to Rye

11 comments:

Needled Mom said...

What a great town to visit! I loved that inside the walls garden. That is one BIG anchor!!!

Adrienne said...

The tour has been fascinating. I always wish I could actually be there with you!
~Adrienne~

Vee said...

Oh how I'd love to enter the antique shop. Did you? Thank you for the wander about...I enjoyed visiting Rye.

Terri said...

I won't say "Goodbye", I'll say "Aloha". It means Hello and Goodbye... that way you can return to Rye some other time.

Thanks for the tour. Loved it!
Hugs

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It certainly looks like you had a lovely visit. It would be nice to walk around such a place with so much to see. Here winter is setting in and not much traveling at all will be done.

Lori Zehr said...

Interesting! I loved the castle and the boat anchor!

CherryPie said...

It has a lot of interesting and varied buildings and features.

organicgardendreams said...

Hi Barbara, I enjoyed your last post about Rye as well. So fun to see photos of exactly the same streets and buildings that we have seen. Unfortunately we completely missed the old castle and the keep. In the one afternoon that we spent in Rye you can only do so much... Wishing you a lovely 2nd advents weekend.
Christina

Lorrie said...

My favorite part of this post is the walled garden, something I think both romantic and practical. Walled gardens are often sheltered and create their own micro-climate.

Cristal @ Dapple Design said...

Hello Barbara, Thanks for visiting me. Your pictures give a good sense of place. I'd love to spend some time in a place like Rye. Vicarious visits will have to do for now.

Annie Jeffries said...

I remember visiting here about a week ago and just noticed that I didn't comment. Here I am, Annie, waving from California, enjoying another ramble with you.