Tuesday 24 July 2007

A Day on the Lee Navigation Canal

We had a really enjoyable day on the barge yesterday. Our friends Dave and Val have had this boat built and are taking a year out to travel the length and breadth of the British Waterways.


Yesterday they were berthed only 30 minutes from our home so we met up with them. The weather was cloudy and drizzling with rain but we did not get heavy rain until we were back at the mooring at the end of the day. It is so peaceful on the canals as maximum speed is 4 miles per hour.


You can check their blog if you wish under NB ZINDAGI


This is me at the helm


Now it is Alan's turn

This is Dave taking a picture of me taking a picture of him








A few photos of the inside of the boat


Val's herb garden


Passing another barge






Approaching a lock gate




Look at the hanging baskets of flowers hanging from the footbridge over the lock






Another lock



Leaving the lock

Alan closing the lock gate

I did not count the locks we went through but there were very many. Obviously the hillier the terrain, the more locks there are.















15 comments:

Betty said...

Barbara,
What a delightful posting...I believe it was a Catherine Cookson movie about two ladies who pick up a man to help them with the locks, etc while they were on a barge.....can't remember the name of the movie though....Looks like lots of fun with all the comforts of home.....

God bless......Is your area flooded? Betty

Susan said...

What a lovely time and a nice boat. I'm sure it was a wonderful day.
Susan

Moobear said...

A great post and really good pictures. If you have time:

You have been tagged. If you would like to participate just check out my blog for the details. If you are unable I certainly understand. Have a great day friend!

Tina said...

What lovely pictures, Barbara. I love canal boats. And I really loved the little fire place inside this one. How cute. :)
Take care.
x

Anonymous said...

I've always dreamed of visiting the canals of England.

Michelle-ozark crafter said...

Oh wow! i have seen these barges on t.v. and I just love them. What a grand time that must have been! I found you through penless thoughts (Susan's) blog

la bellina mammina said...

Cosy little boat - what a wonderful excursion!

Linda said...

I think it would be fun to do a canal trip. I'd like to try the ones here in France. I don't know if I could take it for a year though. Have you read Narrow Dog to Carcassone? It's written by an Englishman who takes one of those canal boats across the channel and does canals in France. He is going to the States next.

lorenzothellama said...

How lovely. What a brilliant way to spend a holiday, so peaceful, and all that wildlife to watch.

We live close to the Macclesfield canal, and Badger the dog quite often jumps onto canal barges as we run past!

lorenzothellama said...

p.s. The cat is Scaredy who officially belongs to my daughter. He is a lovely little fellow and never ceases to amaze us with his ability to find new 'favourite' places to sleep.

Susie said...

I could just imagine how delightful it would be to just sail along at a slow speed and take in the beautiful sights. What a lovely way to spend the day. Enjoyed each of your pictures!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Barbara,

I've always wanted to try a narrowboat holiday - it really appeals because of the sedate pace and the interesting things to see.

A lovely post with great photos.

Marie x

Sohailah said...

What a GREAT plan that couple has. How fun for you to be able to adventure with them!

I love England - it is one of my favorite places in the world. My mom grew up in English boarding schools and my grandmother lived in London for years(Kensington area) and we were blessed to spend two summers there, when I was a child.

slow poke kate said...

Ooh how I love house boats! Your photos are amazing. :) I stumbled upon your site and had to comment- I have enjoyed reading bits and pieces.

Many blessings to you.
Amanda

London Southern Belle

Anonymous said...

You really can take your time and enjoy the countryside at 4 miles an hour. I expect they will get to see Mr Toad and Badger scurrying along the bank.